Tuesday 12 April 2016

Bedroom Configuration

One of the hardest decisions has been trying to work out who goes where when it comes to bedrooms. We have what I call 2 and a half bedrooms. Two bedrooms are pretty large for the house but the third bedroom is tiny and actually is accessed off the second bedroom. You can see from these pictures how small it is given the cot starts against one wall and goes almost to the opposite wall.





It's a given that everyone was going to have to share with someone the plan was for Sebastian and Ethan to share one room, Ashley and Willow to share one room and my husband and I to share the other room. The hard part was working out which room for which people.

In the end  my husband and I have decided to take the tiny room. This might seem strange to many people but it makes the most sense given we have the least amount of bedroom stuff. We can both share a bed and we don't have toys that need to be stored in our room. The only issue then was where we were going to put our clothes. Once you put a bed in that room that's big enough for two people you aren't really left with any more space. So after trawling Pinterest for heaps of great ideas:







We have decided on a semi loft bed with pull out drawers and hanging rack underneath. It keeps everything out of the way but still easily accessible. The only issue is we are going to have to build it ourselves as finding exactly what we require is near on impossible and getting one made would probably be a bit too much for our very small budget with everything else we need to do. Luckily my husband works in metal fabrication so can build the frame easily enough and we are both fairly handy at building things so fingers crossed this isn't a disaster haha. 

To make the most of the space we are also going to put a sliding barn door in, instead of the current door which swings inwards. That way the door doesn't need to be closed to access the under-bed wardrobe space. We'd also like to swap out the large window for a pair of glass doors and create a little secluded balconette area as it's at the back of the house. Hopefully that will help it seem a bigger space, as well as giving us an area just for us to escape from the kids on occasion ;)

Given the girls are younger and smaller we decided to put them in the adjoining bedroom, which looks like this currently (though I did repaint it a neutral colour awhile ago when we thought we might sell):





 I've found a cute, cheap bunk from Fantastic Furniture which will work well for both girls to sleep in:



 We will be having a built in wardrobe made for their room to store all their clothes. This should still leave enough room for storage for toys and things, I just need to figure out exactly what sort will work best.

That leaves the current master bedroom for the boys, which I don't seem to have photos of (at least not ones I can find in my mess of folders). Given they aren't far from becoming teenagers I think it makes sense for them to have the biggest room. My eldest, Sebastian, is already about my height at 12 and is only going to get bigger and Ethan is 10. We have thought about creating a suspended loft bed for Sebastian inspired by one I saw in an apartment on the My Scandinavian Home blog except with barriers around it so he doesn't fall out



I think it feels a bit more grown up than bunks and allows us to give the boys bigger beds to fit into as they keep growing. It also leaves underneath clear of poles making it easier to fit Ethan's bed and a desk underneath. However I'm not entirely sure how safe that is. May need to go back to the drawing board. Again we would have to make this as I doubt I could find something like this here- and definitely not in budget. They will also have built in wardrobes and some sort of storage solution for the rest of their stuff.

So there you have it. Our plans to squeeze our 6 bodies into our small home without it feeling like a squeeze :)

No comments:

Post a Comment